river-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>
Subject Google Brillo, Weave
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 20:38:10 GMT
Hi All,

Does anybody have any insight as to what Google's announced "Weave"
platform / programming language will entail?
It's pretty sad to see, 15 years on, yet another attempt at creating a
cross-platform distributed services architecture / service description
language.
And here Apache River sits - with no visibility or acknowledgement from
the broader community.

I'm excited, on the one hand, to see what they have come up with
technically, but it would be very frustrating if it's functionally
similar to River.
I mean, it's not like we don't already have 10+ separate, incompatible
service description and discovery mechanisms already.

<http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2015/05/28/google-announces-brillo-operating-system-for-iot-weave-language/>:

> Along with Brillo, Pichai unveiled something called “Weave,” which
> he billed as a common communications language for connected devices.
> Using Weave, “Your recipe app on your smartphone can turn on your
> smart oven and set it to the right temperature,” he said.
>
> Developers will submit so-called schemas that tell many apps how to
> manipulate the functions of a device. “A camera can define what it
> means to take a picture,” said Pichai, and then all apps can access
> that picture-taking function. “A [smart] door lock can
> define ‘lock’ and ‘unlock’ as common phrases,” for apps to use.

warm regards,
Dawid Loubser