river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Draft board report
Date Sun, 03 May 2015 19:17:56 GMT
Here is the first draft of the May 2015 board report for River. Comments
and improvements welcome:

Apache River is a Java-based Service Oriented Architecture,
implementing the Jini Specification and Jini Technology
Starter Kit.

ISSUES FOR THE BOARD

There are no board-level issues at this time

RELEASES

Apache River 2.2.2 was released on November 18, 2013
Apache River 2.2.1 was released on May 2, 2013.

COMMUNITY

The last change in the PMC was in June 2014, when Patricia Shanahan
returned from emeritus to active status as a
committer and PMC member.

There is a concern about slow progress because many of the committers
and PMC members have limited time. Recruiting new committers is hindered
by the need for a better initial experience.

ACTIVITY

There is on-going development in the following areas:

* Improved examples - important for community building by providing a
good initial experience for new users and developers.

* Update code for Java 8.

* Usability

* Security issues associated with Java Serialization.

Our major push at this time is to get these developments out to our
users by preparing an Apache 3.0 release. We have agreed to replace
sun.com.jini and com.artima package names with org.apache.river names in
this release. We have also agreed on the base branch for the new release.