river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: New release
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 16:03:11 GMT

2.2.x works fine with Java 8, it just doesn’t compile with Java 8.  I suppose if a given
user’s build system uses classdep, then it would be a problem as well.  Do people often
use classdep?  I never have.

Having said that, there was a patch contributed to make the build system work under Java 8.
 I’m planning to apply that patch soon and spin a release of 2.2.x as well.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk

On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:23 AM, Dawid Loubser <dawid@travellinck.com> wrote:

> I strongly support this! Peter's work needs to get out there and be
> battle-proven, and anything that even inches towards River/OSGi harmony
> needs to get out there so that people can experiment, build on top of, etc.
> Finally - and I may be wrong about this - River 3 will be the first
> version that plays well with Java 8? We really want to upgrade our
> production systems to Java 8, and one of the blockers is the
> (perceived?) notion that River 2.x does not work with Java 8.
>
> It's a bit off-topic, but if I'm wrong about that last part, please let
> me know :-)
>
> regards,
> Dawid Loubser
>
> On 30/04/2015 17:13, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I didn’t want to add this to the thread that Patricia started, but IMO I’d like
us to push for a new release ASAP. Peter’s done a ton of work, there are improvements needed
to the RMI classloading approach that can help projects out there today that use OSGi, and
we have to do something.

>> What I’d like to suggest is we create version 3.0, rename the com.sun.jini namespace
to org.apache.river, and produce a new release. Lets get this done over the next quarter.
I know there are alot of details with this proposal, and esoteric discussions surrounding
“what are we”, but we either release or die. IMO, its that simple.

>> If anyone does not like whats in 3.0, they can still use 2.2.2. If bug fixes are
needed for 2.2.2 we can still provide support for it. Release early, release often.