river-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>
Subject Re: New release
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:23:18 GMT
I strongly support this! Peter's work needs to get out there and be
battle-proven, and anything that even inches towards River/OSGi harmony
needs to get out there so that people can experiment, build on top of, etc.
Finally - and I may be wrong about this - River 3 will be the first
version that plays well with Java 8? We really want to upgrade our
production systems to Java 8, and one of the blockers is the
(perceived?) notion that River 2.x does not work with Java 8.

It's a bit off-topic, but if I'm wrong about that last part, please let
me know :-)

regards,
Dawid Loubser

On 30/04/2015 17:13, Dennis Reedy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn’t want to add this to the thread that Patricia started, but IMO I’d like us
to push for a new release ASAP. Peter’s done a ton of work, there are improvements needed
to the RMI classloading approach that can help projects out there today that use OSGi, and
we have to do something.

> What I’d like to suggest is we create version 3.0, rename the com.sun.jini namespace
to org.apache.river, and produce a new release. Lets get this done over the next quarter.
I know there are alot of details with this proposal, and esoteric discussions surrounding
“what are we”, but we either release or die. IMO, its that simple.

> If anyone does not like whats in 3.0, they can still use 2.2.2. If bug fixes are needed
for 2.2.2 we can still provide support for it. Release early, release often.