river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: State of the River community
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 14:50:14 GMT
On 4/29/2015 9:45 PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> We have enough active committers to collect 3 ‘+1’ votes and make a
> release.  So the project is stable and functional, if not very
> active.

I should have mentioned some of the things I think are right about the
project. We have several very able committers, including, as Greg points
out, a PMC quorum for approving a release. Mailing list communications
tend to focus on technical and policy issues, not personalities. We
don't have a lot of problems I have heard about in other projects, such
as splits into factions that talk past each other.

> But, having said that, yes, we have a problem, and we have had this
> problem almost since the inception of the project.  We do not have
> agreement on the future direction of the project.  I’m not sure if we
> even have a good collective understanding of what River ‘is’, never
> mind what it should be.  Some of our community use JERI as a plain
> remote procedure call mechanism, without using the service discovery
> or mobile code aspects of River.  Some of our community want to
> rethink River as some kind of Internet operating system.  Some of our
> community want to experiment with interesting security policies and
> serialization techniques.  We have huge amounts of work (I am guilty
> of some of it) that has been done in isolation, without a collective
> understanding of what we should be concentrating on.

Thanks for the detailed and constructive analysis. I would appreciate
input from others giving their own analysis.

Patricia