river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: River-examples project - followup
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 01:56:14 GMT

Hi all:

I updated the tutorial to include the discussion below in the “hello-service” module.
 ‘svn up’ should bring it down to your local machine.  I haven’t yet integrated Patricia’s
formatting suggestions, mainly because I have to dig in to Maven’s site command a bit to
include the correct css, but I’ll do that before we release.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk

On Apr 6, 2015, at 3:30 PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan:
>
> Thanks for the great feedback.
>
> I’m pretty sure you already know this, Dan, since you’re a long-time Jini user, but
let me explain for the newer folks and the archives.  This is a case where what you’re seeing
is the expected behaviour.  When the service registers itself with Reggie, it takes out a
lease on the registration. That lease is usually renewed periodically by the service’s JoinManager
(that isn’t quite the whole story, but it’ll do for now).  When you kill the service unexpectedly
with ctrl-c, the service doesn’t de-register itself, however the lease eventually runs out
(now that it’s not being renewed by the service) and then the registration expires, allowing
Reggie to reclaim its resources and notify any registrar listeners.

> It would be possible to register a vm shutdown hook to de-register the service before
the vm exits, but in this case I think it’s actually better to leave it out, since it demonstrates
nicely that a dead  service (or at least a dead JoinManager) eventually gets dropped from
the registrar.

> You said the duplicate service instances “worked”, in that you can show info and
browse the service, but of course, you’re really just looking at the information that’s
in the registry - the registrar and service browser don’t actually contact the service.
 Reggie has no knowledge of the “liveness” of the service, and doesn’t attempt to do
any “health check”.

> In fact, it’s a common misconception that if the service renews the lease, it must
be “live”.  This turns out to be false for many reasons.  (1) The service could have delegated
its lease renewals to a different service.  (2) There’s no guarantee that failure of the
actual service thread would also cause failure of the lease renewal thread, even if they are
in the same process (embedded programmers might recognize this as being similar to the “resetting
the watchdog in a timer-triggered interrupt service routine” problem).  (3) Even if there
were a health check task, the service could fail in the instant just after the health check.
 The most a health check, monitor or heartbeat can do is place a limit on how long it takes
to find out a service has failed.  The only way to say with certainty that a service “works”
is to attempt to use it.

> The lease is purely for the convenience of the registrar (or generically, the service
granting the lease).  If ever the lease is not renewed, the landlord can go ahead and reclaim
whatever resources were dedicated to the lease.  In the case of Reggie, if the lease isn’t
renewed, Reggie drops the registration.  So there’s little risk of “stuck registrations”.
 And since the lease can be renewed, there’s no need for any kind of extended default timeout.

> So, I think I’ll put most of the above explanation into the tutorial, unless anyone
has other thoughts.

> Cheers,
>
> Greg Trasuk
>
> On Apr 6, 2015, at 1:42 PM, Dan Rollo <danrollo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I finally took some time to try this out. It really looks great to me!
>>
>> I noticed one minor thing that I thought might confuse users: While going through
tutorial steps, I decided to stop (via cntrl+c) are restart the hello-service a couple times.
This resulted in the service being shown multiple times in the service browser (screenshot
attached). It appeared all the duplicate instances in the browser “worked” (I could “show
info” and “browse service” on all of them). Eventually, the duplicate registrations
“cleaned up” and I was left with just one. I’m not sure how best to avoid confusion
about this situation. Would more doc about “why”/“how” that works just complicate
things? Is there any sort of “force lease check” to do in the browser that could clear
up the duplicates sooner? (And if so, would that be worth noting in the tutorial?). So basically,
not sure this is a “problem”, but thought I’d ask…