river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: River and Docker
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:52:55 GMT
Docker provides a virtualization approach that allows "containers" to run within a single Linux
instance. River could certainly create Docker images. I think we'd have to make sure that
the network configuration between docker containers would be setup correctly to have a distributed
system composed of River services hosted across Docker containers.

From some online Docker documentation, it seems that communication between containers on the
same host is fairly straight-forward and communication between hosts can occur over regular
public networks as long as the ports are mapped correctly and the connection information is
given to the other party.

There may or may not be issues with River's service discovery and notification, only way to
find out would be to create some Docker images and give it a go.

Dennis

> On Mar 31, 2015, at 847AM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

> Is that a problem?  From what I’ve seen so far, Java applications should work, so it
should be possible to put a set of River infrastructure services (Reggie, Mahalo, Outrigger,
etc) into a Docker container.