river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: River-examples project
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2015 06:20:43 GMT

Found the problem - it isn’t Cygwin-related, it’s Windows-related.  The class path separator
character is different on Windows vs OSX, so the service-starter config files need to use
File.pathSeparator rather than hardcode the character.

I’ve committed the change, so you should be able to update from subversion (right-click
on the ‘home’ project and select ‘Subversion -> Update -> Update to HEAD’, and
rebuild, then you should be able to run the command lines in Cygwin.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk

On Feb 8, 2015, at 10:56 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:

> First of all, I must say I am very impressed with the tutorial chain in
> the examples HTML files. I am currently skimming it, in order to try out
> running things, but will go back and reread in much more detail.
>
> I have been running the command line operations in a Cygwin shell. I
> have to add an "&" at the end of each line to get control back after
> starting something.
>
> All was well until I tried to start the hello service. At that point, I
> got an exception. It is probably related to Cygwin's file naming. What
> is the recommended way of running these commands on a Windows machine?
> The syntax does not look like Microsoft command tool.
>
> Here is the exception:
>
> Patricia@Jan2014Desktop /cygdrive/c/river-examples/home/target/home-1.0-SNAPSHOT-bin
> $ java -Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy=server.policy -Djava.rmi.server.useCodebaseOnly=false
-jar lib/start.jar start-hello-service.config &
> [3] 14212
>
> Patricia@Jan2014Desktop /cygdrive/c/river-examples/home/target/home-1.0-SNAPSHOT-bin
> $ Feb 08, 2015 7:49:37 PM com.sun.jini.tool.ClassServer run
> INFO: ClassServer started [[lib-dl\], port 8090]
> Feb 08, 2015 7:49:37 PM com.sun.jini.start.NonActivatableServiceDescriptor create
> SEVERE: classloader.problem
> Feb 08, 2015 7:49:37 PM com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter checkResultFailures
> WARNING: Exception creating service.
> java.io.IOException: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
>        at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalize0(Native Method)
>        at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalize(Unknown Source)
>        at java.io.File.getCanonicalPath(Unknown Source)
>        at java.io.File.getCanonicalFile(Unknown Source)
>        at com.sun.jini.start.ClassLoaderUtil.getClasspathURLs(ClassLoaderUtil.java:77)
>        at com.sun.jini.start.ClassLoaderUtil.getImportCodebaseURLs(ClassLoaderUtil.java:135)
>        at com.sun.jini.start.NonActivatableServiceDescriptor.create(NonActivatableServiceDescriptor.java:598)
>        at com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter.create(ServiceStarter.java:287)
>        at com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter.processServiceDescriptors(ServiceStarter.java:445)
>        at com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter.main(ServiceStarter.java:476)
>
> Feb 08, 2015 7:49:37 PM com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter checkResultFailures
> WARNING: Associated service descriptor [1]: [http://192.168.1.113:8090/hello-api.jar,
server.policy, lib\hello-api.jar:lib\hello-service.jar, org.apache.river.examples.hello.service.GreeterService,
[hello-service.config], com.sun.jini.start.NonActivatableServiceDescriptor$1@443b7951, BasicProxyPreparer[]]