river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: River-examples project
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2015 15:48:24 GMT

Thanks for trying this out…  Some answers below…

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk

On Feb 8, 2015, at 4:33 AM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:

> Thanks very much for getting this done.
>
> I am playing naive new user. I checked out the svn files, and viewed
> README.md. Note that it might be nice to provide it as a README.txt as
> well - a user who is getting the code from SVN may not be familiar with
> Github conventions.

I was thinking that README.anything was likely to get the user’s first attention, and that
the md text was still readable as text.  But  I see your point - it’s trivial to include
a README.txt as well.

> I think the instructions need a bit more information:
>
> "To build the examples, simply unpack the source distribution of
> 'river-examples',
> and then,
>
> cd river-examples
> mvn install
> mvn site"
>
> What am I supposed to unpack? How do I unpack it?

Instructions need clarification here - you pulled it from cvs, so it’s not “the source
distribution”, which would have been in a “.tgz” file.

> It should say where to type this. Windows command tool? Cygwin shell?
> Unix/Linux shell? I assume I need a JDK, but that should be specified.
> Which JDK versions?
>
> I skipped the "unpack" part of the instructions and used Netbeans. I
> created a new Maven project from existing POM, and built it. I then used
> right click on project, Custom, Goals to run "install" and "site". That
> all worked fine, including smoothly downloading from Maven Central.
>
> I opened the index.html file that resulted. Clicking on e.g. the
> "browser" link got "Firefox can't find the file at
> /C:/river-examples/target/site/browser/index.html.". The browser
> directory contains a file "browser-start.png" but no "index.html”.

Ahh… Need for more instructions here.  Netbeans bundles an older version of Maven that doesn’t
understand Markdown text in the site generation.  What you need to do is install the latest
Maven from ‘maven.apache.org’ and configure Netbeans to use it.  I’ll add a note to
the instructions (although this is really Maven setup).  For your immediate use,

- Download Maven 3.2.5 from http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi.  If you’re on Windows,
download the zip file.  If on Linux/Unix, get the “.tar.gz”.
- Unpack it to a convenient directory (Windows: right-click on the zip and select “Extract
all”.  OSX: Just open the tar.gz file.  *nix:  should be something like ‘tar xvzf apache-maven-3.2.5.bin.tar.gz
/usr/local/apache-maven-3.2.5
- In Netbeans, select Preferences (OSX: Netbeans —> Preferences.  Windows: Tools —>
Options) then select the “Maven” tab) and then set the Maven Home field to point to your
local installation.

Then, I suspect you’ll need to do a Custom —> clean install site.

I suppose the smart thing to do is just publish the examples documentation to the River Web
site when we release it -that would replace the “Getting started” page.