river-dev mailing list archives

From Mike <mikro...@gmail.com>
Subject Chopping the codebase into bite-size pieces.
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:14:09 GMT
As part of shaking the rust from my aging memory, and with my minds-eye
looking towards a more modular code experience for Jini/River, I drew up
a small diagram of how things look to me/how I think the codebase could
be chopped up into smaller sub-projects (with dependencies).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_JitrvGE8NMWnhRSWhFVW9MSWM/view?usp=sharing

It might also be a little help to people confronting the rather daunting
codebase for the first time, or even just for understanding more about
the various pieces in there. Please let me know where I've missed things
or got stuff egregiously wrong.

Random comments:

I would like to chop up the "lib" box into smaller pieces - perhaps
sub-boxes for Jeri, Security, Activation, ServiceUI and General? (What
else is big enough to warrant a box of its own?) "Utils" could probably
also use more chopping open. In both cases I just haven't delved deep
enough yet (and might never, depending where my wanderings take me.)

I'm not sure that lumping Phoenix and Start in with the reference
services was a great idea; I just didn't want to multiply entities
needlessly.

I'd suggest that something along these lines serves as a basis for
modularising the codebase into smaller mind-sized sub-projects. How much
interest is there in doing such a thing?

Anyway,... hope it may be of some use to someone.

PS/FWIW: I note that the ServiceUI APIDocs seem to have escaped the
build/dist process somehow; at any rate they're not available via the
online apidocs at https://river.apache.org/doc/api/

--
Mike Morris
http://mikro2nd.net/