river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Getting started with the examples
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2015 00:55:28 GMT
Greg,

Thanks for your work on the examples. Of course, I am chomping at the
bit to try them out, so I may be getting ahead of more instructions and
a non-svn distribution that are coming. If so, I can wait.

Remember I'm a total newbie who may have little or no command line
experience. I hope if I ask all the questions I can think of we can
produce a Readme that will work across a good range of new users.

I checked out the examples from SVN, and read README.md

It told me I need Maven, and where to get it, and then says

"To build the examples, simply unpack the source distribution of
'river-examples',
and then,

     cd river-examples
     mvn install
     mvn site"

What exactly do I unpack, and how do I unpack it?

What sort of environment do I need for this to work?

It looks as though I need a UNIX-ish shell, because it uses cd.

I am guessing I need at least a JVM, perhaps a JDK. What version or
versions? Will it work with Cygwin under Windows 8.1? In a Windows
command tool under Windows 8.1?

Patricia