river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Please review the river-examples project
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:22:56 GMT

Hi Dennis:

As with Pat’s comments, thanks for the input.  One loses the “beginner’s eye” after
working on something for a while.

Anyhow, the README instructions are intended as a “bootstrap” that gets you to the real
instructions that are in the site that’s built when you run ‘mvn site’.  However, as
Pat has already found out, Eclipse and NetBeans bundle an older version of Maven that doesn’t
know Markdown.  See my other message for instructions.

For your convenience, I’ve copied the site onto my ‘people.apache.org’ site:

http://people.apache.org/~gtrasuk/river/getting-started/

The testing folders are a Maven artifact.  I’m all for a testing example, but the code contained
in the hello-service is too trivial to bother creating unit-tests for, IMO.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk

On Feb 8, 2015, at 9:22 AM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Good start! How does one run anything, and although there are src/test/java directories,
there are no tests.

> Regards
>
> Dennis
>
>> On Feb 6, 2015, at 607PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@trasuk.com> wrote:
>>

>> (this may go through twice - not sure which source email gets through moderation)
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> Finally finished the examples project.  Please review and comment.
>>
>> You can get it from svn at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/river-examples/river-examples/trunk
>>
>> My thinking is that a new user trying out the examples will start with the read me
file at: “README.md” (formatted as markdown
>> so that in case someone is looking at the github mirror, they’ll see it on the
front page of the project).  So, if one or more of you could checkout the project and begin
by following the README.md instructions, that would give us a feel for the “new-user”
experience.

>> I’m picturing that we should be able to release the examples project fairly quickly,
and then start trying to publicize it.  Also, we can add more advanced examples as time goes
on (e.g. event notifications, transactions, JavaSpaces, web app client, etc).