river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Recent work
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:24:17 GMT
Some things I've been working on recently:

Proxy codebase permissions;  I annotate jar files with a META-INF/permissions.list file containing
the permissions required by the proxy.

Clients can find out what permissions proxy's require and grant these dynamically at runtime.

Reversal of responsibility for bootstrap proxy's, traditionally we ask a smart proxy for the
bootstrap proxy:

A bootstrap proxy interface that allows clients to lookup a bootstrap proxy and ask it for
the smart proxy after authentication.  This allows DownloadPermission to be granted dynamically
after authenticating the bootstrap proxy.

An entry for listing interfaces implemented by smart proxy's: helps us lookup the proxy we
want.

Looking up the bootstrap proxy first, provides the following benefits:

1. Allows logical comparisons to be made locally before downloading a smart proxy codebase.
2. Allows authentication to occure before codebase download.
3. DownloadPermission can be granted dynamically, rather than by configuration.
4. Codebase downloads and smart proxy unmarshalling can be performed lazily.

I have these features in my local copy of River, is there wider interest?

Regards,

Peter.