river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 22:31:03 GMT
Greg,

Here is a start to a gradle-ized version of River done 3 years ago http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/river/jtsk/skunk/modules/,
could easily beused to create examples as well.

And here is the maven-ized version: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/river/jtsk/skunk/qa_refactor/trunk/modularize/

HTH

Dennis

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 521PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Dennis:
>
> I’m slightly allergic to hard-and-fast conventions.  For example, the service browser
example really doesn’t fit those conventions.  Also, I’m reticent to suggest repackaging
the infrastructure services (reggie, outrigger, mahalo, etc) at this time (meaning that I
personally have no plans to do it). Having said that, I’m basically with you.  Matter of
fact if you have a look at the River-Container examples over at https://github.com/trasukg/river-container-examples
you’ll see that’s pretty much the same style.  The minor difference is that I’ve used
‘hello-impl’ rather than ‘hello-service’, and there’s also a ‘hello-module’
that is the packaged artifact for the container.

> I believe the critical thing is to make sure that the client api is separate, so that
the client doesn’t accidentally know anything about the implementation.  All else is implementation
details, though I agree that we should provide a good example.

> As far as Maven/Gradle, it happens that I know Maven and not Gradle.  All I am trying
to do is provide some easier example than just diving into the JTSK source.  If someone were
to contribute a Gradle-based example, that’s all-the-better for user choice.  But I don’t
think we should go around telling people what build tool to use.

> Cheers,
>
> Greg Trasuk
>

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 4:05 PM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I'd like to suggest that River follow the conventions that align with whats recommended
over in Rio (http://www.rio-project.org/conventions.html). This has been pretty successful
using both Maven and Gradle (at this time I would go with Gradle btw).

>> HTH
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>>> On Jan 5, 2015, at 1016PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I started working on making new demos and “getting started” stuff back before
the holidays.  Here’s my thinking…

>>> As Patricia alludes to, it really shouldn’t be necessary to build the River
distribution in order to try out some samples and get started.  After all, the artifacts are
published on Maven Central, so they can simply be referenced in a Maven build (or Gradle,
Ivy, Etc).

which can be checked-out from https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/river-examples/river-examples/trunk.

>>> In that project, there are currently modules for the service browser jars and
a ‘home’ folder for the compiled and packaged examples. (might be best to download it
and do a ‘mvn install site’).  There’s also documentation for the examples under the
main project (look at  <project-home>/target/site/index.html - this should be familiar
to Maven users).  The documentation currently includes how to build and run the service browser
(although I think right now it’s incomplete on how the configuration works - haven’t looked
at it since Dec 15).

>>> Right now, the project has a dependency on the new ‘river-rt-tools’ modules
that I talked about back in December as well.  So in order to run the examples, you currently
need to checkout 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/river-rt-tools/trunk' and do a ‘mvn
install’ on it, which will install the runtime tool artifacts (start.jar) in your local
Maven cache.  In the end, those artifacts would also be released and published on Maven Central,
so you eventually wouldn’t need to build the runtime tools separately.

>>> My plan is to add modules to the river-examples project for a 'hello-service’
and ‘hello-client’, as well as a config for the infrastructure services (Reggie, etc).
 So eventually, the “getting started” instructions become “have a look at ‘river-examples’”,
and we’d remove the (very confusing, if you ask me) ‘examples’ folder from the JTSK
distribution.  As a bonus, we can isolate new users from the convoluted build system in River.

>>> If this seems like a reasonable path forward for our “getting started” experience,
perhaps you’d like to work on bringing over some of the examples from the JTSK to the ‘river-examples’
project. That’s probably also a good way to re-familiarize yourself with Jini.  I probably
won’t have any cycles to work on it seriously for the next couple weeks, but could cheerfully
make suggestions.

>>> You should be able to check-out these two Maven project in the IDE of your choice.
 I was using NetBeans, but AFAIK, Eclipse should be able to use the Maven build directly.
 I just haven’t tried it.

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Greg Trasuk.

followed by Christmas in England and recovery from the cold I caught there. That means I'm
ready to get much more active in River.

might remove a barrier to community building. My main agenda is community building, so I want
to work on that. I am going to be a very naive potential user, so stand by for basic questions.

in being a River developer. However, when I looked at the "Getting Started" page, river.apache.org/user-guide-basic-river-services.html,
it says:

from the SVN trunk. Currently this is necessary because the code snippets below use methods
and classes which, at time of writing, haven't made it into the latest binary release yet.
Having said that, the code you will need in the binary release isn't to far removed from what
you'll see below, so you can progress with the binary release if you want to and are happy
odifying the code."

23, 2013. Do I still need to do a River build before I can run the example? If so, why and
what can I do to fix that?

to make sure that any changes I make really are improvements, so I would like PMC review as
I go along.