river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started - environment
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 02:36:02 GMT

Couple other things you probably already know, but I’ll mention the obvious just in case…

If you’re typing a path in cygwin, you can include spaces by escaping them, e.g. /cygdrive/c/Documents\
and\ Settings/…

Also, sometimes, it helps to put the path in double-quotes, e.g ‘cd “/cygdrive/c/Documents
and Settings/…”'

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk.

On Jan 5, 2015, at 9:30 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:

> I have not yet got to the point of running ant - I'm still hoping to not
> need to build from source to do a basic demo. I was just doing a cd to
> the hello directory, but trouble there seems to indicate trouble to come.
>
> I'll try the soft-link approach.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patricia
>
> On 1/5/2015 6:22 PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
>> Does it make a difference if you run ant in the Windows command shell
>> rather than Cygwin?
>>
>> I’ve been on OSX mostly for a while, which is basically Unix.  In the
>> past I certainly compiled River under Cygwin, but normally I use a
>> folder in cygwin’s ‘/home/<insert-user-name-here>’ folder.  What I do
>> is soft-link a folder called ‘/home/trasukg/MyDocs’ to
>> ‘/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/<insert-user-name-here>’ (paths
>> will vary, of course - alter to suit your own install).  That way the
>> cygwin bash shell doesn’t see any spaces in its path.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Greg Trasuk.
>>
>> On Jan 5, 2015, at 7:37 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The Getting Started page does not say what sorts of environments
>>> work. I started using cygwin on a Windows 8.1 machine with
>>> RIVER_HOME='/cygdrive/c/Documents and