river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Pulling com.sun.jini.start out of the JTSK - not just now, I think
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 21:35:25 GMT
Hi all:

We had talked about pulling the starter and class server out of the JTSK and renaming them
to the ‘org.apache.river.tools’ package namespace.

Although I still think it’s a good idea, I’ve become convinced that there are too many
follow-on requirements.  Essentially, all of the infrastructure service implementations have
a dependency on the com.sun.jini.start package.  Also, the QA framework uses it.

The logical extension of that restructuring work would be to pull out the QA framework into
a different project, and also pull the infrastructure services out.  So in order to even create
a demo, we’d have to restructure and re-release the whole project, which is not something
I’m planning to take on at this time.

So, I’ve changed to examples project to go back to using the com.sun.jini.start package.
 That’s still possible, since start.jar is published to Maven Central.

I’m not sure at this point whether it’s still a good idea to pull out the classdep implementation
from the JTSK into a separate project, or just apply the patches to move up to using ASM5.
 I’ll see about it after the examples project is ready.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk