river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 03:29:27 GMT
Greg,

I guess I missed your link to that GitHub project, it looks like a really good start, nice
job. Since you're going the Maven route, you should probably look into improving the poms
to use dependencyManagement and pluginManagement(where needed). You'll want to put that in
the parent pom.

I'm a little puzzled by the hello-module idea, as well as the test approach, doesn't seem
like there is much there at this point, not sure what you had planned.

I'm no so sure that the Starter-based project is convoluted, its fairly straight forward.
If the group would like, I'll be glad to spend a day creating a calculator example based on
gradle that includes bootstrapping and testing using stock River with service starter bits.

Dennis

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 912PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 8:17 PM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I don't know if pushing your River container approach is best for an example, but
a stock River example with straight forward conventions allows developers to understand how
to structure a project, how to build it, and most importantly how to test it. Without those
basic fundamentals of an example it doesn't make much sense to pursue.

> I’m not pushing the river container here.  The project in https://github.com/trasukg/river-container-examples
is straight River, with the one caveat that (as we discussed on the list a few weeks ago)
I have pulled out the old com.sun.jini.start package to a different project, which is at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/river-rt-tools/trunk',
and renamed it to ‘org.apache.river.tools.rt.start’.  I only mentioned the river container
examples to show that we’re in basic agreement on how to structure a project that implements
a service and client.

> Now if you ask me, the convoluted structure of a Starter-based project makes its own
argument for a container, but that’s a whole different conversation.

> But in any case, I’ll try to add the actual client and service examples into the examples
project in the next few days, and then I think you’ll see that we’re really not disagreeing
very much.  I’m planning on yer basic ‘hello-world’ service.