river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Getting Started
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 23:07:11 GMT
I have completed buying a new home, moving into it, and selling the old
one, followed by Christmas in England and recovery from the cold I
caught there. That means I'm ready to get much more active in River.

Last year, we got some feedback suggesting that better support for new
users might remove a barrier to community building. My main agenda is
community building, so I want to work on that. I am going to be a very
naive potential user, so stand by for basic questions.

I began by downloading the binary version, since in this mode I am not
interested in being a River developer. However, when I looked at the
"Getting Started" page,
river.apache.org/user-guide-basic-river-services.html, it says:

"The instructions assume that you're building from source as checked out
from the SVN trunk. Currently this is necessary because the code
snippets below use methods and classes which, at time of writing,
haven't made it into the latest binary release yet. Having said that,
the code you will need in the binary release isn't to far removed from
what you'll see below, so you can progress with the binary release if
you want to and are happy odifying the code."

According to the page info, the "time of writing" was no later than
November 23, 2013. Do I still need to do a River build before I can run
the example? If so, why and what can I do to fix that?

I have no idea whether or not I would be happy "odifying" code - maybe
"modifying"?

What is the best procedure for editing the "Getting Started" page? I
want to make sure that any changes I make really are improvements, so I
would like PMC review as I go along.

Patricia