river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 04:34:16 GMT
Greg,

Wow, I really liked the other link(s) better. Are there commits pending? All I see is the
browser, and I don't think the browser is at all a good reference for an example. Is that
where you're going?

Thanks

Dennis

> On Jan 8, 2015, at 916PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>
> Misfired on the url below.  The project at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/river-examples/river-examples/trunk
is straight River, not the github url below.

> Cheers,
>
> Greg Trasuk
>
> On Jan 8, 2015, at 9:12 PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 8, 2015, at 8:17 PM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't know if pushing your River container approach is best for an example,
but a stock River example with straight forward conventions allows developers to understand
how to structure a project, how to build it, and most importantly how to test it. Without
those basic fundamentals of an example it doesn't make much sense to pursue.

>> I’m not pushing the river container here.  The project in https://github.com/trasukg/river-container-examples
is straight River, with the one caveat that (as we discussed on the list a few weeks ago)
I have pulled out the old com.sun.jini.start package to a different project, which is at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/river-rt-tools/trunk',
and renamed it to ‘org.apache.river.tools.rt.start’.  I only mentioned the river container
examples to show that we’re in basic agreement on how to structure a project that implements
a service and client.

>> Now if you ask me, the convoluted structure of a Starter-based project makes its
own argument for a container, but that’s a whole different conversation.

>> But in any case, I’ll try to add the actual client and service examples into the
examples project in the next few days, and then I think you’ll see that we’re really not
disagreeing very much.  I’m planning on yer basic ‘hello-world’ service.