river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Change package name 'com.sun.jini.tool' to 'org.apache.river.tool'?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2014 15:21:51 GMT

Hi all:

I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-444 to track discussion on this change.
 Please read and comment.

Thanks,

Greg Trasuk
On Nov 20, 2014, at 11:03 AM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:

> Actually, I had a better idea.
>
> How about if I pull out the ‘tools’ package to a separate Maven project and integrate
the changes that Peter did on qa_refactor?  Then both the 2.2 branch and qa_refactor can use
the same tools.

> Process would be as follows:
>
> - Create a project in Apache git repo for ‘river-tools’
> - Create a Maven project (I’ll have a look at the modularization that Dennis did, I
suspect this is already done) in that repository
> - Integrate Peter’s updates from qa-refactor (which update to use asm-5 in classdep)
> - Do a release on river-tools, so that tools.jar can go into Maven Central
> - Remove tools packages from 2.2. branch.  Modify build to get tools.jar from Central
rather than building it.
> 	- I can update qa_refactor at the same time.
> - Roll a release of the 2.2. branch.
>
> Which will leave a 2.2. release that builds under JDK1.8, qa_refactor that uses the same
tool, and one less piece of build system confusion to put off new committers.

> Opinions?  Does this need a vote?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg Trasuk.
>
> On Nov 19, 2014, at 3:19 PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I’m working on getting the build system, particularly ‘classdepandjar’ to work
under JDK8.  While I’m in there, I’m wondering if I should rename the affected package,
‘com.sun.jini.tool’, to ‘org.apache.river.tool’ or some such thing.

>> Any opinions?  I would have to change the reference to classdepandjar in the build
scripts, but obviously it would also affect any external build scripts that use it.  I suppose
I could leave a wrapper class in ‘com.sun.jini.tool’ so as not to affect build scripts.