river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Change package name 'com.sun.jini.tool' to 'org.apache.river.tool'?
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:03:55 GMT

Actually, I had a better idea.

How about if I pull out the ‘tools’ package to a separate Maven project and integrate
the changes that Peter did on qa_refactor?  Then both the 2.2 branch and qa_refactor can use
the same tools.

Process would be as follows:

- Create a project in Apache git repo for ‘river-tools’
- Create a Maven project (I’ll have a look at the modularization that Dennis did, I suspect
this is already done) in that repository
- Integrate Peter’s updates from qa-refactor (which update to use asm-5 in classdep)
- Do a release on river-tools, so that tools.jar can go into Maven Central
- Remove tools packages from 2.2. branch.  Modify build to get tools.jar from Central rather
than building it.
	- I can update qa_refactor at the same time.
- Roll a release of the 2.2. branch.

Which will leave a 2.2. release that builds under JDK1.8, qa_refactor that uses the same tool,
and one less piece of build system confusion to put off new committers.

Opinions?  Does this need a vote?

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk.

On Nov 19, 2014, at 3:19 PM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I’m working on getting the build system, particularly ‘classdepandjar’ to work
under JDK8.  While I’m in there, I’m wondering if I should rename the affected package,
‘com.sun.jini.tool’, to ‘org.apache.river.tool’ or some such thing.

> Any opinions?  I would have to change the reference to classdepandjar in the build scripts,
but obviously it would also affect any external build scripts that use it.  I suppose I could
leave a wrapper class in ‘com.sun.jini.tool’ so as not to affect build scripts.