river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: River in Linux Help Required
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:01:37 GMT
Hi Amit,

River is a Java application, install jsk-platform.jar and jsk-lib.jar in a directory that's
visible to your applications classpath.

Service implementations are like server applications, for each service you'll also need to
install the service jar (eg reggie.jar) and start.jar on your classpath.  You'll also need
a webserver, one is provided in tools.jar called ClassServer (from memory).  If you can, install
your webserver and services on separate computers to your clients.

Clients will download proxy files on demand from the web server.

Clients typically use multicast discovery to discover your lookup service (reggie), then they
use the lookup service to find other services (eg Javaspaces).

You may either install jsk-policy.jar in your java extensions directory (for all applications)
or install it in a directory and specify that directory as a java extension directory, using
a jvm command line argument.

Most books are now quite dated, but are still useful.  Google Jan Newmarch's Jini tutorial
for tips on configuration and getting started.

Regards,

Peter.