river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: SerialReflectionFactory - got a better name?
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2014 11:42:45 GMT
How about Portable?

On 1/07/2014 12:55 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> So, maybe transportable or transported or forwarded…
>
> Gregg
>
> On Jun 29, 2014, at 4:41 AM, Peter Firmstone<jini@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Gregg,
>>
>> Thinking out loud:
>>
>> Transferable, I think it's close, it works for TransferableObjectFactory, it's created
on demand to transfer a non serializable object via a serialization stream and it transfers
a factory from one jvm to another, in order to recrate the original object in another jvm.

>> As for Distributed, transfer would imply the original object is moved from one place
to another (deleted and recreated), while that could occur, it's also possible for the originating
object to be duplicated as well, so it works for what's currently called SerialReflectionFactory,
but Transferable wouldn't be a candidate for the Distributed interface.

>> If the original object has state, then it would be a snapshot of the original object
at some point in time, hence memento.

>> It could be called TransferableMemento or SerializableMemento, it's created within
a ObjectOutputStream and replaced in an ObjectInputStream.

>> Then that leaves Distributed, perhaps Distributable is better?  Other words are Propagatable,
Disseminatable.  Latin: disseminare "scattering seeds"