river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: LookupLocator - deprecation of Discovery V1
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:33:53 GMT

ConstrainableLookupLocator is already a compatible replacement for LookupLocator.  Just mark
LookupLocator as deprecated and don’t waste any time on it.

We might want to think about changing Reggie so it defaults to DiscoveryV2.  Right now v1
is the default.

Greg Trasuk.

On Jun 24, 2014, at 6:12 AM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> Presently, LookupLocator's method getRegistrar, discovers a lookup service, using Discovery
V1 only.

> ConstrainableLookupLocator overrides the getRegistrar method and can perform Discovery
V1 or V2.

> As a first step, in ensuring maximum compatibility, I'd like to propose changing LookupLocators
implementation of getRegistrar to be identical to ConstrainableLookupLocator, but with InvocationConstraints.EMPTY,
that is, without any constraints.

> Secondly, I'd like to propose that Discovery V2 is used by default, and Discovery V1
can only be used by setting a system property, for migration purposes only.

> Doing so will allow LookupLocator to function using either Discovery V1 or V2.
>
> This also reduces code duplication, presently there are two implementations of client
side Discovery V1, this will reduce that to one implementation only.