river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: SerialReflectionFactory - got a better name?
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:37:58 GMT
----- Original message -----
> Also,
>
> I am not sure I like "Distributed" or "DistributedObject" - it suggests
> an   instance is distributed.

My thoughts at the time were, a Remote object is one with remote state mutated by remote method
calls (generalisation), but a distributed object was one with local immutable or thread safe
state that could exist at multiple locations, be stored to disk and restored later, even if
the original class no longer existed, it was distributed, data, so to speak.  It's original
intent was to be a value object, where services and remote objects use distributed objects
as return values and parameters, but it has other uses, such as serializing objects without
a no arg constructor that don't implement serializable, or allowing inheritance hierarchies
to change without breaking deserialization...

> "Transferable"?
>
> Sorry - English is not my mother tongue so it is hard to find viable
> alternatives :)

Does it have to be in English?