river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: New Chair for Apache River PMC
Date Mon, 12 May 2014 13:59:44 GMT

On May 11, 2014, at 12:30 AM, Peter <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> Ultimately, if community involvement continues to decline, we may have to send River
to the attic.

> Distributed computing is difficult and we often bump into the shortcomings of the java
platform, I think these difficulties are why developers have trouble agreeing on solutions.

> But I think more importantly we need increased user involvement.
>
> Is there any advise or resources we can draw on from other Apache projects?

It may be, ultimately, that the community has failed and River is headed to the Attic.  The
usual question is “Can the project round up the 3 ‘+1’ votes required to make an Apache
release?”  Historically, we have been able to do that, at least for maintenance releases,
and I don’t see that changing, at least for a while.

The problem is future development and the ongoing health of the project.  On this point, we
don’t seem to have consensus on where we want the project to go, and there’s limited enthusiasm
for user-focused requirements.  Also, my calls to discuss the health of the project have had
no response (well, there was a tangent about the build system, but personally I think that
misses the point).

I will include in the board report the fact that no-one has expressed an interest in taking
over as PMC chair, and ask if there are any other expert resources that can help.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk.