river-dev mailing list archives

From Michał Kłeczek <michal.klec...@xpro.biz>
Subject Re: New Chair for Apache River PMC
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 10:58:59 GMT
That is going to cause qa_refactor merge difficult.

My take - pretty radical - on this would be:

1. Rename branch trunk to "2.x.x"
- 2.x would enter "legacy maintanance" mode
2. Rename qa_refactor to "trunk"
3. Rename packages in "trunk", introduce compatibility jars
4. Release 3.0.0-alpha from "trunk"
4.a test test test chase bugs :)
5. Depending on how the community feels modular (mavenized) build is important
- modify "trunk" before final 3.0.0 release (this can be postponed until after
3.0.0)
6. Release 3.0.0 from trunk

The problem right now is that it is unclear what branch should be a base for
any work that potentially is going to be included in 3.x.x - is it qa_refactor
or is it trunk?
So we need an official 3.x.x branch ASAP.

I really think work done in qa_refactor is important enough to make it the
main development branch. The community seems to agree that sooner or later it
_will_ be merged.

Regards,
Michal