river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Please have a look at the River Container
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:24:48 GMT

>> The standard I proposed is what is currently implemented by River-Container.  Rio’s
convention is very much different, and relies on reading jar files from a Maven repository
rather than from the local file system.  It represents a radical departure from the Service-Starter
conventions, although it is compatible with the services.

> This is false. Rio provides the capability to declare a service be loaded either by artifact
resolution or by using declared jars. I have never moved away from the latter approach for
the simple reason that there are deployments that require legacy support.

My mistake.  Thank you for the correction.

> Using an artifact to annotate a codebase, or to resolve a service's classpath provides
significant advancement in the build-deploy lifecycle for developers, and also provides performance
benefits when accessing a service's codebase (as well as addressing perm-gen oome for containers).

Makes a lot of sense.  It’s something I’m intending to look into.

> I'm thinking that way too. For now, I am withdrawing my offer of donating Rio to River.
My intention was that it would greatly benefit River, by dramatically improving the out of
box experience. I'll be happy if River would just mention it as a notable project that may
be beneficial to developers getting to know River.

> I'll also comment on your service archive standard, and if reasonable (and given time)
I'll provide support for it in Rio.

I recognize your earlier concerns about the River project appearing to favour one container
over another.  As such I’ll continue development of the River-Container outside the Apache
River project.  I guess it’ll need a new name.

I’m not sure if we should leave River-435 open to discuss the service packaging.  Perhaps
others can comment...

> Regards
>
> Dennis

Cheers,