river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject [Discuss] Accept Rio into River
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 22:34:32 GMT

Hi all:

Dennis has indicated that he’d be willing to contribute the Rio container to River.  I suspect
we all agree that this is a “Good Thing”.  Feel free to discuss if you have any reservations.

I suggest that Rio would be setup as an additional deliverable alongside the JTSK and any
other sub projects we might create.  It would be under the same governance and PMC as River
(hence isn’t really a “sub-project” per se), but would be released separately from the
core JTSK.  We can figure out repositories, continuous integration, etc, as time goes on.

So, what’s required? I for one, am not sure.  Here’s what we know…

- Rio is currently licensed under Apache Software License v2
- Dennis is the primary author, and as a River Committer and PMC member, he has an ICLA on
file
- Large code donations may be subject to IP clearance (I think there may be some interpretation
room here, since Dennis is the main author and he’s under ICLA).
- IP Clearance policy at Apache is covered here http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
and here: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

Here’s what we don’t know…
- The other authors are who?  Does any corporation (Oracle, GigaSpaces?) have any potential
claim?
- Do we need to go through the Incubator to accept this code contribution?

Anyone on the list have experience in this?  Should we ask the Incubator (officially that’s
who does IP clearance)?

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk.