river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: River 3.0 beta release candidate
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2013 14:01:57 GMT

I feel like we’re going down a rabbit hole here when you start talking about exporting immutable
objects.  Wouldn’t it be kind of silly to export an immutable service?  Isn’t the whole
point that you interact with the service (i.e. alter its state) over a remote interface?

Perhaps it’s better to say that exported services need to be thread-safe (which should be
fairly obvious).  Yes, immutable objects are inherently thread-safe, so for sharing information
inside a VM, it makes some sense to minimize the number of mutable objects you pass around.
 But fundamentally, we’re talking about shared-state systems here.

Cheers,

Greg.

On Dec 18, 2013, at 7:42 AM, Peter <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> Pat your comment about non final fields is interesting.
>
> Isn't it also the case that we need to safely publish an effectively immutable object
to share it among threads?  That usually means copying it to a thread safe collection or shared
via a synchronized method, volatile field, or final field in another object?

> So we should also make sure that Jeri uses safe publication during export.
>
> That would allow a service that has no final fields to start threads, then export from
within a constructor safely, provided all operations on non final fields happen before starting
threads and exporting.

-

I think
to our