river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: VOTE: add Startable to Jini specification
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2013 08:50:50 GMT
I think the real problem is some people haven't been reading up on
concurrency and are insufficiently informed to be able to properly
discuss the issue.

When I don't know something, I either ask someone who does, or I keep my
mouth shut so as not to look like a fool.

It's more a case of, if you behave like a fool long enough to make it
frustrating, that's exactly how you'll be treated.

Sadly it's by people who should know better, who while they may lack an
understanding of the JMM are still very skilled programmers, that's what
makes it frustrating.

Final fields are made visible after construction completes, so when
other threads receive a copy of the object in an unconstructed state,
like they do during export in a constructor, then those threads can
continue to see the incomplete object, rather than the fully constructed
one.

See for yourselves, look at all the final fields in Mercury, then
realise that it's reference escaped during construction.  The other
services are also guilty.

That also means that all the remote method invocations wrapped up as
runnable tasks and executed on Mercury's methods in an executor pool
will have also seen parts of Mercury in a partially constructed state.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/river/jtsk/skunk/qa_refactor/trunk/src/com/sun/jini/mercury/MailboxImpl.java?r1=545310&r2=1552606

If I haven't convinced you, read up, spend some time on the concurrency
interest mail list or ask someone you trust who does know.

Regards,

Peter.

On 21/12/2013 11:10 AM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
> (off-list)
>
> Peter:
>
> You’re sounding unprofessional, and you’re missing the fact that people are giving
reasonable and well-thought-out feedback.  You seem to be taking the conversation personally.
   Perhaps you should take a few hours off the list and cool down.   Things will still be
here when you’ve regained composure.