river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: River Container (was surrogate container)
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2013 19:44:38 GMT

On Nov 28, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2013, at 1159AM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

>> I’m all for bringing Rio in at the same time!  It’s good to have choices.
>
> Perhaps what we should also focus on is to create (or move forward) either a standard
archive (the SAR) or interfaces that define semantics for deployment. That way we can have
multiple

Probably a good idea.  The way the river-container (probably needs a new name) is architected,
we can add additional deployers that use alternate semantics or archive formats.  The first
one I did handles services that are designed for ‘com.sun.jini.start’, but there’s no
reason we couldn’t add others.  I’m already thinking about re-implementing the Harvester-style
API.  But even that’s looking pretty dated.  That’s what I mean when I say it’ll make
a nice test bed - for example, I’d really like to be able to do

@Service
@ServiceAttributes( { @Name(“Hello”) })
public class HelloImpl implements Hello {
	public String sayHi(String name) {
		return “Hi there “ + name;
	}
}

>> Is the code provenance clear?
>
> In some places there are dual copyrights, from (1) Sun Microsystems and (2) to the original
author or authors. The NOTICE contains contributions from:

> This product includes material developed by Asarian Technologies LLC.
>
> This product contains material developed by Elastic Grid LLC.
> (http://www.elastic-grid.com)
>
> This product includes material developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> (http://www.sun.com).
>
> This product includes material developed by GigaSpaces, Inc.
> (http://www.gigaspaces.com).

I see it’s Apache licensed.  Ideally we’d have a CCLA in place from all the corporate
contributors, but I personally don’t know if that’s required if the contributed code is
ASL2.  We might have to consult more experienced Apache people.

Greg.

>> I think we can all agree that telling anyone to start writing services using only
the JTSK is cruel and unusual punishment.