river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: River Container (was surrogate container)
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:59:16 GMT

I’m all for bringing Rio in at the same time!  It’s good to have choices.  Is the code
provenance clear?

I think we can all agree that telling anyone to start writing services using only the JTSK
is cruel and unusual punishment.  In the same way that someone who wants to write a servlet
does not need to hack the Tomcat code.

Cheers,

Greg.

On Nov 28, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Dennis Reedy <dennis.reedy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest that you keep it on GitHub, or we bring that and Rio into River at the same
time.

> Regards
>
> Dennis
>
> On Nov 28, 2013, at 1123AM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg@stratuscom.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all:
>>
>> A while ago I mentioned that I had taken work on the surrogate container over to
Github to try out both git and a Maven-based build.

>> It’s now reached an interesting milestone and I’d like to talk about bringing
it back into the River project.  Right now, you can startup the container with Reggie and
Mahalo in it, plus whatever services you want to add.  The container monitors the deploy directory
and starts and stops services much like Tomcat or JBoss auto-deploys.

>> You can start up a client program in a client container that manages the codebase
server and security environment.  As an example the Maven build includes the service browser.

>> Check it out at https://github.com/trasukg/river-container
>>
>> Also there’s a ‘hello world’ example at https://github.com/trasukg/river-container-examples
>>
>> I’m thinking that this container could be a good entry point for those who wish
to create services and clients that run in the Jini environment.  Also, it will make a nice
testbed for development of new deployment options, like
>> annotation-based service authoring.  I’d like to bring it back into River.  It
was derived from the surrogate code in skunk/surrogate. Obviously I’m under an ICLA, and
all the files have Apache license headers, etc.

>> Any opinions on whether it’s a reasonable River sub-project, or whether I should
leave it at GitHub?  And if we do bring it into River, would we like to have it in a git repository?
 I’m not sure what the state of git support is at Apache - there seems to be several projects
using git (especially in the incubator), but the infra webpages still say it’s experimental.
 I would see the container as another top-level distribution artifact.  And there’s plenty
of development opportunities in making it more user-friendly, administrable, etc.  In all,
the goal is to make creation of Jini SOA as approachable as writing servlets.