river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject The importance of safe publication
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:13:07 GMT
Found a beaut bug, this time it relates to
com.sun.jini.outrigger.EntryRep, this is what I think's occurring on the
client side.

During construction arrays were created, written to volatile variables,
then populated with values.

Now EntryRep uses default serialization, it isn't synchronized if
marshalled by a different thread, and an EntryRep is created for every
Entry written into the space.

Previously I'd only seen similar test failures on Arm, but now I could
observe it on Windows, the platform so far least affected by concurrency
issues.

com/sun/jini/test/impl/outrigger/leasing/UseNotifyLeaseTest.td

How did I find it?

An unrelated class com.sun.jini.outrigger.TypeTree used the data
structure, Hashtree<String,Vector<String>> internally, to cache all
subclasses, I replaced the data structure with
ConcurrentMap<String,Set<String>>, which simplified the code somewhat,
this also allowed the unrelated EntryRep to fail on Window's where
previously it wasn't evident.

The good news is, it even failed while being observed with visualvm.  It
appears that the test was running well until hotspot optimised
reflective method invocation, after that, the EntryRep array contents
went missing and the test subsequently failed because the Watchers no
longer matched the EntryRep and didn't send any more event notifications.

I've just committed the fix, feel free to reverse the changes to
EntryRep and play around with unsafe publication.

Anyone seen any strange behaviour writing Entry's to the space in
deployment?  Eg entry's going missing, not matching, or update
notifications not occurring?  It's likely this could have been confused
with network failure, which the Jini infrastructure handles quite well.

Regards,

Peter.