river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Immutable Entry
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:44:31 GMT

See comments below...

Greg.

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 15:32, Peter wrote:
> Currenty Entry objects are packaged in a MarshalledWrapper by Outrigger's and Reggie's
proxy code.  By making fields in MarshalledWrapper final, we can achieve safe publication
in River.  This doesn't help Entry's shared among threads in client code performing calculations
and storing results in an Entry prior to being submitted back to a Javaspace.

> Because Entry fields are public, we can't do much to ensure client code is sharing them
safely.

> I'm more concerned client code will perform unsafe mutations that are outside our control.
 In that case a Javaspace proxy might not see the last write to an Entry field.

We can't control what the client does.

> Perhaps all we can do is create a web page with best practices?
>
> I could really use a hand getting this set up, I'm bogged down at present and don't feel
like I'm making much progress.  The positive discussion about these issues is heartening.

Although important, it's not urgent.  So don't beat yourself to death
over it.  I'm focussed on the container for now.  Also how to
incorporate all the trunk changes in an orderly fashion.

> I did see an Oracle blog post that proposed immutable arrays as a feature in a future
Java version.

> Thanks,
>
> Peter.

JERI