river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Immutable Entry
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:32:42 GMT
Currenty Entry objects are packaged in a MarshalledWrapper by Outrigger's and Reggie's proxy
code.  By making fields in MarshalledWrapper final, we can achieve safe publication in River.
 This doesn't help Entry's shared among threads in client code performing calculations and
storing results in an Entry prior to being submitted back to a Javaspace.

Because Entry fields are public, we can't do much to ensure client code is sharing them safely.

I'm more concerned client code will perform unsafe mutations that are outside our control.
 In that case a Javaspace proxy might not see the last write to an Entry field.

Perhaps all we can do is create a web page with best practices?

I could really use a hand getting this set up, I'm bogged down at present and don't feel like
I'm making much progress.  The positive discussion about these issues is heartening.

I did see an Oracle blog post that proposed immutable arrays as a feature in a future Java
version.

Thanks,

Peter.