river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Immutable Entry
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:25:11 GMT

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 08:23, Peter wrote:
> I've been thinking about how Entry objects are immutable in serialized form and of course
how they are not in unserialized form.

> Should Entry fields be final by default?

No.  Javaspaces usage is frequently to take an entry, modify it and then
put it back into the space.

Greg.

> The JMM makes an exception for Serialization, allowing final fields to be frozen after
construction during deserialization, provided it occurs before sharing with other threads.
It would allow Entry's to be shared safely among threads, as long as their public fields aren't
mutable, eg: an array.