river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Next steps after 2.2.1 release
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:15:04 GMT
Gregg,

Thanks again for your support.

I refactored LookupDiscovery and tidied up LookupLocatorDiscovery.

If you get some time, I could use a hand with other classes you've
already fixed.

I'm working on MailboxImpl presently, there's some very dubious code,
Threads being started from inside their constructors, called from static
init methods from within MailboxImpl's constructor.

I know some would prefer me to prove something is broken before fixing
it, providing tests that prove the failure, but this isn't an enterprise
project and I lack the resources for such things, there's always the
option of running a 2.2 maintenance branch for those who'd like to wait
longer before upgrading.

Regards,

Peter.

On 11/04/2013 2:00 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> I just want to extend this conversation a bit by saying that nearly everything about
River is "concurrently accessed".  There are, of course several places, where work is done
by one thread, at a time, but new threads are created to do that work, and that means that
"visibility" has to be considered.

> I won't say that every single field in every class in River needs to be final or volatile,
but that should not be considered an extreme.  Specifically, you might see code execute just
fine without appropriate concurrency design, and then it will suddenly break when a new optimization
appears on the scene, reordering something under the covers and creating an intangible behavior.
 Some "visibility bugs" might not ever manifest because of other "happens before" and "cache
line sync" activities that happen implicitly based on the "current design" or "thread model".
 We can "be happy" with "it ain't broke, so don't fix it", but I don't think that's very productive.

> I personally, have been beating on various parts of Jini in my "fork" because of completely
unpredictable results in discovery and discovery management.  I've written, rewritten, debugged
and stared at that code till I was blue in the face, because my ServiceUI desktop application
just doesn't behave like it should.  Some of it is missing lifecycle management that was not
in the original services, because System.registerShutdownHook() hasn't been used.  But other
parts are these race conditions and thread scheduling overlaps (or underlaps) which keep discovery
and notification from happening reliably.   There are lots of different reasons why people
might not be "complaining" about this stuff, but I would contend that the fact that there
are many examples of people forking and extending Jini, which to me, reflects the fact that
there are things that aren't correct, or functional in the wild, and this causes them to jump
over the cliff and never look back.

> We are at that point today, and Peter's continued slogging through the motions to track
down and discover where the issues actually are, is an astronomical effort!  I have been very
involved in several different, new work opportunities that have kept me from jumping in to
participate in dealing with all of these issues, as I have really wanted to.

> Gregg Wonderly
>
> On Apr 8, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Peter<jini@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks Gregg,
>>
>> You've hit the nail on the head, this is exactly the issue I'm having.
>>
>> So I've been fixing safe publication in constructors by making fields final or volatile
and ensuring "this" doesn't escape, fixing synchronisation on collections etc during method
calls.

>> To fix deadlock, I investigate immutable non blocking data structures with volatile
publication, if future state doesn't depend on previous state, if it does a CAS atomic reference
can be used instead of volatile.

>> Often i find synchronization is quite acceptable if it is limited in scope, if synchronized
or holding a lock while a thread is executing outside your objects scope of control, that's
when deadlock is more likely to occur.

>> The polciy providers were deadlock prone, which is why they're mostly immutable non
blocking now, any synchronization or locking is limited.

>> I basically follow Doug Lea's concurrency in practise guidelines.
>>
>> For debugging I follow Cliff Click's reccommendations.
>>
>> Unfortunately fixing concurrency bugs means finding a trace of execution, identifying
all classes and inspecting the code visually.  Findbugs identifies cases of inadequate sychronization
using static analysis.