river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Next steps after 2.2.1 release
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 02:41:10 GMT
On 4/7/2013 5:03 PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
> I'm honestly and truly not passing judgement on the quality of the
> code.  I honestly don't know if it's good or bad.  I have to confess
> that, given that Jini was written as a top-level project at Sun,
> sponsored by Bill Joy, when Sun was at the top of its game, and the Jini
> project team was a "who's-who" of distributed computing pioneers, the
> idea that it's riddled with concurrency bugs surprises me.  But mainly,
> I'm still trying to answer that question - "How do I know if it's good?"

I don't know whether it has concurrency bugs, and that is a problem in
its own right. The theory of why does not suffer from concurrency
problems is nowhere near clear.

I have no faith in the infallibility of Sun developers, because I used
to be one. Some of them were very, very smart, but those were not
necessarily the ones writing every line of code. The issue is not the
distributed system design, but details of coding that may be leading to
local concurrency problems within a program.

I am a little worried that my doubts about RetryTask may lead to over
focus on that issue. It should be considered as a candidate, but I was
never able to become certain there was a bug involving it. If I had, I
would have created an issue for it and fixed it.

Patricia