river-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Next steps after 2.2.1 release
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:37:48 GMT
On 4/7/2013 1:04 AM, Dan Creswell wrote:
> On 7 April 2013 05:24, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> On 4/6/2013 7:26 PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:
>>
>>   Once we have a stable set of regression tests, then OK, we could
>>> think about improving performance or using Maven repositories as the
>>> codebase server.

>> I think there is something else you need before it would be a good idea to
>> release any changes for the sake of performance - some examples of
>> workloads whose performance you want to improve, and that are in fact
>> improved by the changes.
>>

> Indeed. And if we do these changes in a confined, one small step at a time
> type fashion, we can build micro-benchmarks as we go along.
>
> Later, if it makes sense we can look at more macro tests such as e.g.
> Lookup or JavaSpace or Transaction etc.

Programmer constructed micro-benchmarks are good at answering the
question "How am I doing at optimizing X?". They are useless for
answering the question that needs to be asked first: "What, if anything,
should I be optimizing?".

To find out what, if anything, needs optimization one has to start from
real workloads that are running slower than desired, and measure them.
Or, in some cases, from industry benchmarks that are known to be
correlated with real workloads in some field.

Patricia