river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Next steps after 2.2.1 release
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 20:19:11 GMT
Thanks Gregg,

You've hit the nail on the head, this is exactly the issue I'm having.

So I've been fixing safe publication in constructors by making fields final or volatile and
ensuring "this" doesn't escape, fixing synchronisation on collections etc during method calls.

To fix deadlock, I investigate immutable non blocking data structures with volatile publication,
if future state doesn't depend on previous state, if it does a CAS atomic reference can be
used instead of volatile.

Often i find synchronization is quite acceptable if it is limited in scope, if synchronized
or holding a lock while a thread is executing outside your objects scope of control, that's
when deadlock is more likely to occur.

The polciy providers were deadlock prone, which is why they're mostly immutable non blocking
now, any synchronization or locking is limited.

I basically follow Doug Lea's concurrency in practise guidelines.

For debugging I follow Cliff Click's reccommendations.

Unfortunately fixing concurrency bugs means finding a trace of execution, identifying all
classes and inspecting the code visually.  Findbugs identifies cases of inadequate sychronization
using static analysis.

Regards,

Peter.