river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Latest Java release causes runtime exception
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:44:28 GMT

On Mar 12, 2013, at 1233PM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-416 contains a patch against the trunk that
could be applied, as well as the complete source code. My j.u.l.Levels implementation was
based on the initial submission from Sun to Apache so it lacks the reformatting that was done
in a previous submit. I'm not closely monitoring what has changed with regard to the project
conventions, but I still assume the coding style in place is the same as effective within
Sun. I can even remember some fierce discussions about tabs versus spaces in the beginning
but as I see there are still tabs and spaces that stayed the same too ;-)
> IMHO maintaining the some coding style would ease in taking and giving of code between
various codebases out there in the field.

I dont agree with the maintaining the current coding style, at times I find much of the code
base to be unreadable (until it is formatted). Many of the conventions just dont seem to make
sense anymore. For example, line length of 80 characters. Perhaps this made sense when out
display resolution was 640x780, (recall the conventions were last updated in 1999), but not
for today. I dont even want to start the discussion on tabs vs spaces (I use spaces).

> The above solution has been tested on various JDKs, I did verify the actual objects created
(all real instances of Level) and analyzed the serialized byte streams and this does really
does seems to do the trick. At least I found it an interesting journey through the serialization
specification ...

The approach I had provided also was tested on various JDKs. However, I'm glad to accept your
patch

Thanks

Dennis