river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Poms
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 23:56:19 GMT

On Feb 8, 2013, at 549PM, Greg Trasuk wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 14:26, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looking around the distribution I noticed a directory of Maven poms. I see that the
groupID for all the poms is org.apache.river. Do we want to keep the net.jini groupId intact
for the artifacts produced that have net.jini packages?

> +1

Well, the only rub with this approach is outlined here (http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html),
in the "Getting your project setup in the Nexus Repository" section that states:

Maven Group Ids: a list of the groupIds for this project. They should all be subgroups of
org.apache

I suppose we can ask for net.jini groupId in addition to org.apache.river. If denied we will
need to go with everything being org.apache.river, or choose to publish the net.jini artifacts
to Maven central ourselves (which is fine with me btw).

Would you like me to proceed with the request?

>> We would have the following artifacts:
>>
>> net.jini:jsk-resources:version
>> net.jini:jsk-policy:version
>> net.jini:jsk-platform:version
>> net.jini:jsk-lib:version
>> net.jini:jsk-dl:version
>>
>> org.apache.river:reggie:version
>> org.apache.river:reggie-dl:version
>> org.apache.river:outrigger:version
>> org.apache.river:outrigger-dl:version
>> org.apache.river:mahalo:version
>> org.apache.river:mahalo-dl:version
>> org.apache.river:mercury:version
>> org.apache.river:mercury-dl:version
>>
>> etc ...
>>
>> Additionally, the pom directory is setup as a multi-module maven project. Eventually,
I think this is something I would like to see, but until then what we need is the ability
to install/deploy River produced jars to a Maven repository as 3rd party jars. I'd like to
refactor the poms accordingly to enable this to happen, and provide the ability (using a script)
to deploy to the ASF Maven repository (http://repository.apache.org).

>> IIRC, if we deploy to the ASF repository, artifacts are synched to Maven Central.
I'd like to deploy 2.2.1 once it becomes available.

> Yes, I don't think we currently need to worry about building with Maven,
> but we should certainly ship the artifacts to the repository.
>
> I've been a Maven avoider for a long time (although I'm starting to come
> around),

It took me quite some time to get out of my ant mindset, but very glad I did.

Dennis