river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <dan.cresw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open discussion on development process
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2012 18:21:02 GMT

On 30 November 2012 19:53, Gregg Wonderly <gergg@cox.net> wrote:
> I still wonder why it doesn't feel right that the test suite be in the same branch as
the associated "release".  Some of the new code needs new test that demonstrate "functionality"
while other tests that demonstrate compatibility will be ran on each release without change.
 It seems to me, that in the end, when a release goes out the door, the tests that validated
that release, are part of that "release".

I have some similar disquiet, here's what I'm thinking at the moment
(subject to change faster than I can type!)...

Compatibility and similar is really "compliance test" and is closely
linked to the APIs defined by the specs. Two flavours here:

(1) "Well-behaved service" tests - does a service do join properly etc.
(2) Compliance tests - do the APIs behave right etc.

These are kind of slow moving as are the APIs at least for now. I feel
right now like (1) might be a subproject applied to our own "built-in"
services as well as others. I'm tempted to say the same about (2) save
for the fact that if we give up on the idea someone else is going to
build a River clone this stuff becomes part of the release/test phase
for the core.

Any other testing we're doing over and above what falls into (1) and
(2) above is part of tests for core and ought to be living in the same
branch and run as part of release. However, that's a little
uncomfortable when one wishes to freeze development of core to do
major work on the test harness etc. You branch core and test suite to
work purely on the suite.

Manageable I guess well, until you have the trunk moving on and
breaking your already seriously under construction test suite where
everything in trunk is "old style" and will be a b*stard to merge
across but if you don't your branched test suite is gonna break for
nuisance reasons.

> If we need two different types of tests, and a migration path from "functionality tests"
into "compatibility tests", then maybe we really need two trees for development of each release,
and branching the whole test suite would be one branch an the new release would be the other.

> Is that how you guys are thinking about this?

You have my (current) thinking above...