river-dev mailing list archives

From Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>
Subject Re: internet version
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:22:47 GMT
On 25-10-12 18:55, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> On 10/24/2012 10:39 AM, Simon IJskes - QCG wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> a small questionaire. i hope anybody wants to participate by answering
>> the following questions:
>>
>> - are you interested in river running on the internet?
> On a TCP/IP network at large, yes.  The internet has some certain
> connotations that I am not sure how to quantify.
>
> 1.   Do we mean everyone is untrusted and securing endpoints implies no
> downloaded code?

It depends. I see no problem downloading code over a TLS connection that
you trust.

> 2.   Do we mean everyone is untrusted and the only way to make it secure
> is to demand that deployment includes some
>        asynchronous mechanism for forming a trust relationship that
> endpoints can validate and maintain?

Sync or async. Should both be possible. I've a setup running where you
can connect to securely, and have to wait for off-line acceptance. Also
outofband trust setup could be done. In basis it is the management of
your truststore.

> 3.   Do we mean that connections can only happen in a particular "into"
> the internet fashion, as opposed to
>         from the internet into "users" networks for "notifications" to
> work?

No, currently i have mekong v2, that allows for inbound connections. A
mekongEndpoint can be used for the LAN reggie eventlistener. It does not
run smooth yet, but i'm getting there. But a polling discovery kernel is
also possible.

> 4.   Do we want to change the entire endpoint mechanisms away from
> simple, marshaled data streams, to something
>         more "plastic" or "flexible" in the sense that mobile code might
> not happen?

I'm not sure.

>> - do you want to participate in testing, filing bugs, providing
>> patches to the code?
> 1.    I am not currently doing new river development and my development
> time is aimed elsewhere, so I am
>         not sure that I can help with coding in a productive way.

Ah, thats a shame. You sure ask the right questions.