river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: localhost
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:36:05 GMT
On 10/11/2012 7:05 AM, Simon IJskes - QCG wrote:
> Shall we build a localHost lookup class for use river-wide, that allows for a
> pluggable best hostname/ipaddress finder?
>
> And replace all InetAddress.getLocalHost() with a call
> LocalHostLookup.getLocalHost() ?
>
> We can plugin, enable/disable the check host=127.0.0.1 from there.

I can appreciate some aspects of this thought, but in the end, I want to be able
to control that with "hostname" settings and /etc/hosts values.  As long as it
doesn't change the outwardly visible behavior, its probably a good idea.  Some
part of me actually thinks that just logging at "info" or "warning" when the IP
address is 127.0.0.1 (ipv4) in all those places might make it more obvious for
"code" learners, what needs to be considered.

Gregg Wonderly