river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: WELCOME to dev@river.apache.org
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2012 01:01:32 GMT
Hi Bishnu,

Sorry for the slow reply, River is maintained by volunteers, we don't
have as much time as we'd like.  Your service browser is interesting.

There are significant challenges with security, River (Jini) has
constraints, which allow clients and services to require integrity,
confidentiality and minimum server or client principals.  You may find
constraints very useful, these could be supported in your browsers
security settings.

JERI has superceded RMI in Jini, it's the standard for exporting service
objects and allows an administrator to select from pluggable Exporters
that use different protocols, including RMI, IIOP, TLS etc.  JERI is
required for constraints.

During object serialization there is a window of time where objects are
created and class loading occurs, prior to a ProtectionDomain
representing them being pushed onto the execution stack, allowing an
attacker to take advantage of privileges the current execution stack
has, this is the mechanism for java deserialisation privilege escalation
attacks reported recently by popular media.  To avoid this
vulnerability, permissions must be minimised during deserialisation.

JAAS in its standard implementation, injects Principals into all
ProtectionDomain on the call stack (which must have sufficient privilege
for it to occur). ProtectionDomains added to the stack after login and
Subject.doAs, are not injected, but may be subject to deserialisation
attacks if and when local code is privileged.  A user login adds
permission to existing ProtectionDomains, which may all be privileged in
any case.  I've proposed for distributed environments that this
behaviour be changed so a ProtectionDomain representing the Subject be
pushed onto the stack instead, allowing a user to have a different alias
for browsing untrusted networks, where the user has restricted
permission to prevent deserialisation privilege escallation attacks on
client or server jvm's, even when the jvm or application code would
otherwise be vulnerable.  This could be supported as a list of
permissions the user has selected for the alias on clients, or by being
granted a particular principal on servers.  This would greatly simplify
configuring java permissions.

Deserialisation is still subject to denial of service (out of memory
error or stack overflow), however this is only of inconvenience value,
the jvm can be easily killed and restarted.

Trust in a community is based on identity and observed behaviour.

SPKI has an interesting authorisation delegation model, allowing users
to remain anonymous while avoiding the need for Certificate
Authorities.  An example use case: a company delegates authority to
access external resources to its employees with short term tickets;
certificates that expire daily.  A company or household may hold a
contract with a supplier for a resource, this may expire on monthly or
annual contract terms, during login, resources may be allocated on a
daily basis by creating a certificate chain that delegates permission,
every time a user logs in.

org.apache.river.api.security.PermissionGrant is a stateless abstract
class (originally designed as an interface, enforcing security was
complex, so an abstract class was chosen instead) that would also allow
standard java Permissions to be granted and expire.  There is a
DelegatePermission framework (implementation to be distributed
separately) and caching DelegateSecurityManager that for example,
enables Li Gong's method guard pattern to be applied to existing Socket
implementations using a SocketFactory wrapper.

Which reminds me; I need to create a directory on svn for the delegates
implementation.

These things are low level, what is needed is a simplifying upper layer
that makes using services in the service browser simple and secure.

To achieve goals you've set in the paper, there's plenty of work left to do.

Best Regards,

Peter.

Bishnu Gautam wrote:
> Hi
> No, I am not using ServiceUI, instead, I have written myself that exports the wrapped
services to the client. We can still export the very light weight browser as jini service
too. In that way, we can still make our jini services that can run in client machine. I am
calling this browser as Universal Browser.  I have written a paper about this scenario more
in detail at following paper:
> http://www.iaeng.org/publication/IMECS2010/IMECS2010_pp638-643.pdf
> You may find number of services running in the browser including web browser. Yes, this
is the right time how we can make good service interface that can be used by client at end.
> RegardsBishnu
>

> Bishnu Prasad Gautam
>

>> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:12:24 +0100
>> Subject: Re: WELCOME to dev@river.apache.org
>> From: dan.creswell@gmail.com
>> To: dev@river.apache.org
>>
>> Can you say a little more about the JPanel wrapping? Are you making use of
>> ServiceUI or custom generating something or ?
>>
>> The reason I'm asking is because for client-side exposure of graphical
>> material, a browser is a good place to go especially with the arrival of
>> HTML5. In fact, perhaps it's time we re-evaluated ServiceUI...
>>
>> On 4 September 2012 01:26, Bishnu Gautam <bishnu35@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Peter and Simon
>>> Thanks for messages.Yes, I was thinking of DNS-SRV discovery. Also, UDT is
>>> better than TCP. I am very interested to use Java UDT and totally agree to
>>> apply this protocol. That will efficiently work I think. I am building an
>>> application that transfer all bundled JPanel wraped jini/river services to
>>> client sides. I am able to execute it in muliti-Lan environment. I will
>>> donate this code to river community. My next phase is to implement it to
>>> execute in internet. If you guys have already implemented some of it, lets
>>> share the codes or lets discuss so that we can bring river project as one
>>> of the demanding solution not only in distributed environment but also for
>>> the cloud community. I think this is the right time for jini/river
>>> community to come into the business or into the cloud.
>>> RegardsBishnu
>>>

>>> Bishnu Prasad Gautam

>>> indication and I think that River has great potential if we can build some
>>> application that can interact over Internet.I am planning to do a research
>>> work whether we can make an application of River that can interact over
>>> internet as I found there are some issues of firewall etc. Would you let me
>>> know, whether the River team has plan of bringing River on the Internet ?

When