river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: federation
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 20:10:46 GMT

On Sep 25, 2012, at 405PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Simon IJskes - QCG <simon@qcg.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 25-09-12 21:37, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>>
>>> From my perspective, it seems that the most predominate step forward
>>> that we might take, would be to make all configuration used in
>>> services be visible to tooling on the outside which could then guide
>>> the deployment much more dependably and accelerate this small but
>>> currently oh so fragile set of steps toward getting River up and
>>> running in your environment.
>>
>> To me this reads like a mode where the 'easy' environment spits out a configuration
file, which if presented to the easy environment produces the exact same result, and allows
for editting to tweak things. Does it?

> That might be one of the things which happens.  But, the annotations, ultimately, provide
the metadata which defines the "parameters" of configuration which are valid.  So, tooling
of all different nature can use that meta-data.

Interesting idea! You also could create a ConfigurationProvider that writes out component,
name, type, defaultValue (if any) and optional data. Might be a start for services that already
exist and may not have annotations applied.

Dennis