river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: CodebaseAccessClassLoader replacement for RMIClassLoader
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 03:26:16 GMT
My initial focus, was on just striping away the dependency on RMIClassLoaderSPI
as the "only" way to change class loading behavior.  The impetus, of course, was
that Netbeans does not have a trivial way (let alone functional) way to specify
a classpath change (required for the static initialization of RMIClassLoaderSPI)
at startup, without reengineering netbeans itself.  So, I decided that I wanted
to just make it possible to completely avoid RMIClassLoaderSPI.  The
optimizations and odd calling paths that you mentioned, were things that I
looked at, but felt it might be better to go ahead and get some feed back from
everyone before working on all the changes and optimizations to do all of that.

However, I am sure that PreferredClassProvider really should not be a
CodebaseClassAccess instance.  There are two usage patterns at play here.

There is the service/client apps, who will assert some CodebaseClassAccess
instance, and then there is downloaded code, which might use RMI, or which might
otherwise call PreferredClassProvider.loadClass().  Those  codebases also need
to be affected by the assertion of a CodebaseClassAccess instance.

I don't remember the exact details of what I experienced when I was putting this
together, but it seems like I experienced an unexpected call to
PreferredClassProvider.loadClass().

Note, that my old changes to PreferredClassProvider, to provide deferred
downloading based on "alwaysPreferred" classes, has been moved into my own
implementation of CodebaseClassAccess et.al.  I used to have lots of hooks into
different parts of PreferredClassProvider, including loadClass(), so it may be
that I'm speaking of past issues which don't exist any longer.

I need to drag all the Netbeans stuff back out and see where things stand it
appears.

Gregg Wonderly