river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Removing Discovery V1
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:29:27 GMT
Well, I'm in two minds:

   1. Suggesting it might help get generate discussion, perhaps finding
      a migration path.
   2. If there is no migration path, stopping any more developers from
      being locked into Discovery V1, since it's easy for inexperienced
      developers to do so.  This forces forklift upgrades in deployed
      environments, which itself introduces risk, either they upgrade,
      may not upgrade at all, maintain a fork or choose some other
      technology.

Possibly, one way to remove Discovery V1, is to make it only available
via a DiscoveryProvider, and removing it's use from methods, like
LookupLocator.getRegistrar() and substituting those with a
DiscoveryProvider read from configuration.

Then it could take a couple of releases to first deprecate, then remove
it, depending it's introduction into a djinn and how long the installed
nodes that require DV1 live on.

But I'm not even sure if that's possible.

If option 2 then we would be releasing River 3.0.

Peter.